How to Study in America Without IELTS


To study in America without IELTS, international students must prove that they have intermediate proficiency in English by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This language test has been required of international students since 1965, when the Immigration and Nationality Act was passed by the United States Congress. This piece will explain how to study in America without IELTS so you can continue your academic career in the U.S. without having to take this language test.

study in America without IELTS with an F1 Visa

F1 Visas (also known as Academic Student Visas) are required for international students who want to study in America without IELTS. If you’re coming from a country outside of North, Central, or South America, you’ll need an F1 Visa. These visas are handled by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). You must apply for your visa at a U.S. consulate before arriving on campus—you cannot apply once you’ve arrived on campus! In some cases, you may be able to submit a visa application after arriving on campus with advance permission from your academic program. Speak with your admissions counselor if you have any questions about what’s available where your university is located . . . and plan ahead!

Read: Top 10 Scholarships for Women in the World

study in America without IELTS with AP Credit

If you want to study in America without IELTS without needing to take IELTS, one of your best options is transferring AP credit. Each year, colleges and universities award approximately two million students with high school Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) course credit—and it may be transferable if you decide to pursue a degree abroad. However, keep in mind that not all colleges accept AP or IB credit, so it’s important to check with your intended institution before beginning any study abroad application process. Finally, remember that college-level classes are different from high school classes—so don’t expect your experience taking an AP class at a U.S. high school translate into instant success studying at an American university!

study in America without IELTS with the CLEP Exam

One of your best bets for studying abroad without an English language proficiency test is taking a CLEP exam. According to their website, The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) assesses college-level knowledge in thirty-nine subject areas, and grants credit at over 2,900 colleges and universities. There are several tests you can take—and we’ll list them below—but they all follow similar guidelines: If you pass a CLEP exam with a score of 50 or above, you’re granted advanced standing towards your degree program. You don’t have to worry about accreditation or transferring credits; if you pass a CLEP exam with flying colors, your bachelor’s degree is within reach.

study in America without IELTS by Taking Online Courses

Online courses provide a great way for students who don’t speak English as their first language, or who want to learn more about American culture and society, to take courses in school. A study abroad program for high schoolers is also a great way for an international student looking for an alternative path through secondary education or one who already knows they plan on going abroad to a U.S. college or university after graduating from high school. The best part? You don’t need IELTS scores! There are plenty of top-ranked schools that accept students by other means. We recommend you look into: CLEP, TELS, and PEARSON ASSESSMENTS ASSOCIATES TEST (PAT). All three tests help students take online classes.

Work While Studying In America

It is not very common for international students to work part-time or full-time while studying abroad, as most schools offer sufficient financial aid so that students are able to focus on their studies and live comfortably without having to take a part-time job. However, there are opportunities for both international and American students alike; many people who attend school in another country use their experience abroad as a means of traveling and getting a chance to explore other cultures. If you decide you want to study abroad in order to work or explore, it will be important for you seek out programs that have language requirements that do not include English. This way, you will be able to start working once you arrive!

Related: Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships for Foreign Students in Germany

Find Scholarships for American Colleges and Universities

In order to study in an American college or university, you’ll need a high school diploma and transcripts translated into English. Plus, you must take either English as a Second Language (ESL) classes or prove that your English is strong enough to keep up with coursework at an American school. Some schools will ask for proof of proficiency through a standardized test such as TOEFL, but there are other options. You can apply for a work visa or student visa if you’re looking at doing online courses, but that option isn’t available if you want on-campus classes. If neither of those options seem viable for you, consider finding an American school that will accept international students without IELTS—it may be more difficult but it’s certainly possible!

Click here for more scholarship opportunities

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: